The objective of this pillar is to develop, implement and participate in actions toward peace, social cohesion, and regional integration. From the context analysis and emerging issues, situations of conflicts, including violent conflicts, can be viewed at both local and regional dynamics. These could be attributed to disintegrated social relations arising from different forms of grievances ranging from economic disenfranchisements to political exclusion, and negative religious and cultural mobilization. At the regional level, inadequate spaces, understanding, and role of citizens in participating in and advancing regional integration agenda keeps driving the wedges between and among the countries.
This pillar will seek to address three (3) key issues:
- Fragmented social relations contributing to heightened inter-community violent conflicts and status of regional and national levels of fragility.
- Inadequate understanding and low levels of participation of the citizenry in the realization of people – centered regional integration agenda.
- Existence of conflict drivers and enhancers including the Proliferation of illicit Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALWs); hate speech and violent extremism in the region.
In responding to these challenges, FECCLAHA envisages dual approaches contribute to churches and national councils’ agenda on local and national peace and social cohesion agenda and mobilizing and equipping Church leaders / faith actors and actors at the regional level for effective engagements in the implementation of regional integration agenda.
The Strategic interventions under this focus area will be consolidated into five (5) thematic areas:
- Thematic area 1: Church leaders, Peace, and Social Cohesion.
- Thematic Area 2: Women, Peace, and Social Cohesion.
- Thematic Area 3: Youth, Peace, and Social Cohesion.
- Thematic Area 4: Regional Integration for Peace and Social Cohesion.
- Thematic Area 5: Advocacy against Proliferation of illicit Small Arms and Light Weapons.